November 4, 2008

I'm so just blogging right now so bear with me. I'm so emotional right now, so emotional tears have been flooding my eyes all day. I heard of Barack Obama's grandmothers' death yesterday and instead of being sad I felt contentment for him. She has taken her place beside him spiritually and will guide him in a way that cannot be understood unless you believe in spirituality. She is intervening for him in a divine way right now. I can't believe I am a witness to this moment and time in history. From slavery, to civil rights, to the first black President Nominee. I am dealing with emotions right now I never thought I could feel. The pain of our ancestors, the promise of a brighter future lays at our doorsteps at this moment and time. My 9 year old niece called me this morning to asked if I had voted, and I thought wow, she cares. I said to her that this is an important day, I told her that one day she could become President. I donated to the Obama campaign, I registered to vote for the first time this election, there is so much at stake. I watched guys standing on the corner on my way home from school and wondered if they understood the years of oppression that had and would be lifted off of them today. I wondered about my children and what today would mean for them. I wondered if this was how people felt when they walked along side Martin Luther King Jr, or ran through those tunnels with Harriet Tubman. I wondered if they felt the same way I feel now, that I'm a part of what's to come and its' better than what has been. I sit here emotional because this should have never been an unattainable goal in the first place and here we are breaking barriers. We're not niggers anymore, we are more than that and have always been but today we have proof, today we say thank you to all those before us. Today I voted because someone fought for me to have that right. Today I felt more proud of being black than I ever felt! I had a little more swagger in my step and even if this doesn't turn out the way I want it to, nothing is ever done in vain. I just can't believe it guys, just can't believe it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes we did!!!

Slymnsexxy said...

yes we did, yes we did!