October 31, 2008

Hood Rat Chicks


So I previously spoke about my "Fronters," so now I must pay homage to my "hood rat chicks." I must say that I grew up in the "hood," Ocean Avenue and Albermarle, couldn't be any more Flatbush. I watched the drug dealers deal, heard the gun shots through the night, had the lights beaming through my window from the NYPD helicopters. We left when I saw the shooter run up the stairs and my mom get out of the elevator 1 second later. I know the "hood," I'm a product of it but a fine product that is...lol.

Though I was raised in the "hood", it doesn't mean I don't know how to articulate. It doesn't mean I don't know the difference between what you wear to the club and what you wear to work. I know that having a baby daddy is not a cool thing and having relations with a guy because he has a fly car is not the highlight of my life. I just wish some of these girls understood that there is a whole life outside of Bedstuy, Brownsville and Williamsburg. I read alot as a child so I got to envision life outside of the "hood."

It disturbs me to see young woman cursing up a storm, or letting some guy grope them in public. When every word out of her mouth is a curse I wonder how well she's doing in school and how well she will do on her first job interview, besides McDonald's. How far in life can someone go if they cannot speak properly. Now those who know me know that I can switch up, I can roll with the best of them but I know when its' appropriate and when it is not. I'm not trying to take away from the "hood" but you have got to know when to leave it behind.

Being a product of the hood doesn't make someone any less of person unless what they take from it, is what was given. You've got to rise above the circumstances and want more than it offers. Don't forget where you came from but know where you going and what its going to take to get there!

3 comments:

Latoya said...

I cant wait to move out the hood.
& i will always remember where i came from though and i for sure i know where im going

Slymnsexxy said...

Good for you Hunni, dream big and work hard for what you want and all is possible!

Anonymous said...

I agree with what you said however, I think some of these girls don't have anyone they look up to. Some are products of young parents with no goals, incarcerated fathers,abusive families. The best way for them to seek attention is the street and to survive on the streets you must be tough. You were thought differently, and your mother was very hardworking so it's only fair that you act differently. Besides, you know Haitian parents did not play with hanging in front of the building/house. lol lol Inside at all times.lol lol lol.
Hunni I really admire what you said and please dont let anything or anyone get in your way, you go GIRL. Love to see positive young black woman.