December 21, 2008

A Metaphorical Moment


I went bowling last night and made a stunning realization. As I was throwing my ball down the alley I started to pay more and more attention to my posture and my form. The more that I "followed through" when I threw my ball the more pins I struck. I didn't just throw the ball aimlessly hoping to hit something after a while, I began to focus on my target (the pins) and made an effort to aim and also to follow through.

Have you ever seen someone's posture after they have thrown a bowling ball as if in some way them remaining in that position guides the ball... Then I began to think about life. We have goals...the pins, which we aim for, and if you focus (keep our posture) and are determined (follow through) there is nothing which we cannot achieve. Even when the obstacles (gutter balls) get in our way, we grab that ball and throw again, the second time more determined to hit those pins. We may fall short (get a spare) and sometimes we may hit it big (strike) but it's all about playing the game.

So when you want something and it begins with wanting something because there is always something you should be aiming for, we must be focused on our path to get it, work hard to achieve it and let nothing come between you and your goal. So not only did I enjoy my friends, I got so much more out of bowling, I got a lesson on life.

No comments: