January 13, 2009

Interesting Convo...



So I'm a firm believer in meeting people at the right time and for the right reasons. I was hanging out with a friend from high school and he introduced me to his landlord/friend who happens to be an Investment Banker. We began to talk about money of course, and how he decided to quit his job on Wall Street and work for himself. He encouraged me to do the same...well not quit my job on wall street but work for myself.

He proceeded to talk to me about money and its' value. The dirt on the floor is equivalent to the value of money he said. This shocked me coming from an investment banker but what he meant was that the value we place on money is irrelevant. Money comes and goes, if you want to be rich it starts with thinking rich, that I already have down packed..lol. I told him I love to shop, which he said is not a bad thing if I take half of the money I would go shopping with and hide it somewhere. Or better yet shop for insurance. Essentially forget about it and that's how you start to accumulate wealth.

We also talked about God's importance in accumulating wealth. God doesn't give to those who cannot be good stewards to what he has given them. So it is important to ask God not to give you money but to be a steward to what is truly his and not yours. If we can't take care of 50 dollars why would God let us take care of 50,000 thousand dollars.

My goal was to retire at 45, he says throw that out the window, the goal should be to retire as soon as possible and if that's tomorrow then no time limit should be placed on it. It was an interesting conversation which ended different than I thought it would coming from someone who I can assume is filthy rich. He said that more importantly than anything, above money and wealth is having "LOVE". That at the end of the day what matters most is that people love you who don't need to love you. People care for you who don't need to care because money will not buy you the most important thing..."Love."

God is good, I say it all the time and he continues to bless me even when I don't know it, so I've started hiding money from myself, let's see how this goes...lol

No comments: